In Luke 19, Jesus tells of a certain nobleman who went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and return. So he called 10 of his servants, delivered to them 10 minas, and said to them, “Do business till I come.” In this parable, the nobleman is Jesus. He gave to his servants, us, money, talents and/or gifts. He then told us, “Do business until I come.” In other words, while Jesus is gone from Earth, WE are to USE what he gives us and BE ABOUT HIS BUSINESS.
What does He give us? The gifts of the Spirit in I Cor 12 and Rom 12, money, natural talents, our minds, our bodies, etc. Whatever we have, He gave it to us. Now, we need to use it. We cannot sit around saying, “If the Lord wants such and such done, He will do it.” No, He told us to do business until He comes.
The servants who used their minas to earn more minas were commended and given cities to rule over when the nobleman returned. But the one who did nothing was rebuked sharply and what he had was taken from him and given to the one who had produced the most. If we sit around and do nothing while waiting for the return of Jesus, what we have will be taken from us. NOW is the time to be about the Master’s business. We honor our God by obeying Him and using the talents He entrusted to us.
- Don’t wait for God to do it. We need to do it.
- We must listen to the Father and hear His voice. He will direct our paths.
- Our attitude must be, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” James 4:15
- Sometimes, God will tell us to wait. God is faithful to alter our course if needed.
- Jesus did not leave us alone. The Father sent the Holy Spirit to guide us.
- Do only what you see the Father doing. Be about His business, not our business.